The God of Cliffhangers
My friends and I went to the theater to see the highly anticipated movie Avengers: Infinity War at its release. We were sitting, laughing at all of the inside jokes, watching the characters interact, and waiting for the big finale. The highly anticipated battle was coming up, and I just knew the heroes would have the victory, but the movie ended abruptly. You could imagine in that theatre the gasps, the screaming, even the tears. My friend interjected, “There’s going to be part 2 next year.” Phew! We had just witnessed the biggest cliffhanger.
Cliffhangers can be exciting, until it’s our own life. Some might include applying for a job, trying out for a team, auditioning for a musical, using dating apps, waiting for a diagnosis, moving to a new city…. But like the writers of Avengers: Infinity War, there is Someone writing our story as well. In Psalms 91:1-2 (NLT), the writer states, “Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the LORD: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.” In Hebrew, “Most High” is translated as “El Shaddai,” which also means, in English, “most powerful.” He has the power to write the most beautiful, redemptive stories in our lives, just like Abraham (Genesis 17:1) and Jacob (Genesis 35:11). If I were to modernize this title, I would say that he is the “God of the Cliffhangers,” the one who knows every single chapter of our story. A year later, with my family, we watched part 2 of the movie called Avengers: End Game, where the audience finally receives its much desired closure. I challenge you too to be excited for the story and promised conclusion that God has for each of us.
Comments
Post a Comment