Why Ovarian Cancer?

As long as I (Meghan) have been in SAO, Ovarian Cancer Awareness has been our philanthropy.  So I would paint my nails teal, go to the percentage nights, change my facebook picture, and post the flyers during September. But the passion would go no deeper than my fingernails. I've never known anyone with Ovarian Cancer and didn't really understand why we would decide on a cancer that hardly anyone has heard of, one that would cause puzzled looks when we told them what our fundraiser was going to.

A few weeks ago I volunteered, as I had before, at the Georgia Ovarian Cancer Alliance's Teal Trot 5K with some fellow SAO alumna. For the first time, I realized what it meant to have OCA as our philanthropy.

Being infamously early as I am, I was the first volunteer on site outside of those working for the organization, so as I helped one of the workers set up chairs, he asked why I was volunteering.  "Well, my sorority's national philanthropy is Ovarian Cancer Awareness, so some of our alumna decided to volunteer."  I was pleasantly surprised to hear him reply, "Oh, Sigma Alpha Omega?"  I'll say it brought me much pride to respond yes knowing that our sorority is making such an impact that leaders in the fight for Ovarian Cancer Awareness know our name.  Throughout the morning, I had several others from the organization share what our chapters had done to help volunteer or have them speak at chapter meetings.

So walking around swollen with pride that SAO had made such a name in the Ovarian Cancer community, we met a family who was selling cupcakes.  When asked why we were there, we shared the story of our philanthropy. And it was at that moment, as I watched the lady's eyes fill with tears and invite her mom over to hear what we had said, that I realized why OCA is so important.  Her mother was part of a group of 2% of women who survive when diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer.

We shared several moments with the whole family talking about the lack of awareness, research, and testing for ovarian cancer and the need for awareness. I teared up myself seeing the passion of these women personally affected by ovarian cancer and their sheer gratitude in knowing that a group of college girls was helping their cause.I saw in them the effects that cancer leaves that I have felt myself with the passing of my own mother from brain cancer.

Having spent 5 years involved in SAO, it was not until that Saturday morning in September that I understood what it means to have Ovarian Cancer Awareness as our philanthropy.  It means that families like theirs can finally have someone fighting for their cause.  It means that women are no longer dying of a cancer many have never heard of.  It means those fighting ovarian cancer can be heralded the same as those fighting breast cancer.  And it means that survivors can have chapters of college women across the country holding their hands in celebration.

Don't let OCA stay only in September, but share in the fight that those women and their families fight every day of the year.  Find a women who has been affected by ovarian cancer and speak with her, not from a stage but one-on-one where you can share the tears of encouragement, hope, and compassion.  Let it go deeper than the teal nail polish.

-Meghan Williams, Secretary


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created.” - Esther 4:14

New Beginnings Make New Endings

Oh the Places You'll Go!